Thursday, March 21, 2013

Susani and Velvet Patchwork Cushion Cover

Susani for wedding with symbols of fertility



I was so excited when a friend told me that she got me gift of two Tajiks' Susanis from Taskorgan, Xinjiang Province of China, a town which majority population made up of Tajiks people. According to the Tajik lady who sold the Susanis, the Susanis were brought in from neighboring Tajikistan.

Susanis are an embroidery technique practiced across Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and other Central Asian countries. Susani literally means "needle" in Persian. They were and still are a major part of girls' dowry in those regions. Some mothers would even begun embroidery Susani during pregnancy. The girls would eventually join the embroidery work when she is 8 or so. The rectangular piece on the first picture obviously must be prepared for a wedding. It depicts symbols of fertility with motifs of wombs, ovaries and sperms; close-up Tulip which attributes to Anahita, the ancient Goddess of fertility.


Vagina & Sperms



Wombs and Ovaries

Close-up Tulip




The bigger piece of the two pieces Susanis that I have was just the right size to make into a cushion cover for the big cushion in my family area.








The heart shapes - new element?




I have been planning to make patchwork cushion with my velvet and upholstery fabric sample books. A patchwork with these fabric is just perfect for the other side of the cushion cover.





I have been longing for Susani after I came across Vogue Living Nov/Dec 2010 issue feature of the Bokja founder- Hoda Baroudi and Maria Hibri , two talented women based in Beirut, Lebanon. The duo had created stunning designed and eclectic in style furnitures by an elaborate assemblages of embroidered tribal textiles and tapestries found along the Silk Road.

www.bokjadesign.com


Bokja is a design studio that produces furniture and creates artistic installations. Bokja aims to blur the line between art and design, and to add a touch of bold color and texture to any interior.
Bokja Design on http://www.designhome.ae
I have already placed my order more Susanis from my dear friend and I look forward to receive them next year. By combining Susanis with my other Southeast Asian tribal textiles, I am going to start a new project-assemblages different textiles for the upholstery of my ottoman. Wow, can't wait to start it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment