Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bu Wa Wa - Dolls

Not too long ago, I came across a lovely doll that was designed in a simple but nevertheless interesting technique during my visit to a couple's home . The doll was on displayed in my friends' washroom together with some other lovely decorations. When I visited them again early this year, I decided to take a closer look and study the construction of the doll. Obviously, I was not able to contain myself from the investigation!

Chinese Wa Wa

However, I totally forgot about the idea of making the doll until the recent 2011 Chinese New Year. I was making some bunnies in conjunction with the year of Rabbit to give away as gifts to friends, as well as using some as the seasonal decoration at my lovely home. The idea of the doll flashed back in my mind when I was making those bunnies. So, I decided to try it out. I sewed the first prototype, as shown in the picture below first from the right. My daughter, Ning simply adores it and rocks the doll in her palm. The second doll as shown in the picture above was sewed with a vibrant red fabric - to welcome the auspicious Lunar year! Look at her, she seems to sleep soundly on the woven basket. 


I later discovered that the dolls I made are different from my friends as her doll comes in two parts. I am happy to have my own version of beanie doll.



Wa Wa Family

I name these dolls "Wa Wa". "Wa Wa" means doll, but it is also commonly used to refer to little girl, in Chinese. My “Wa Wa” is made with fabric in a circle, just like the fabric used to wrap a baby. I filled the round fabric with beans and cotton/ synthetic fibers. The head of the doll is made with smaller circle fabrics and filled with fibers too; it is then stuffed onto the opening of the larger ball that makes the body of the “Wa Wa”. I drew the face with acrylic paint to give my “Wa Wa” a finishing touch of “life”. I also added lavender potpourri into some of them for the soothing fragrance.

Conference
Looking at these "Wa Wa", the Chinese children song " Ni Wa Wa" keeps playing in my mind.

"Ni Wa Wa, Ni Wa Wa, Yi Ge Ni Wa Wa......"  
 no no, it should be   

" Bu Wa Wa, Bu Wa Wa, Yi Ge Ni Wa Wa......"  
 "Bu" in Mandarin means fabric, hence, “Bu Wa Wa” means doll made with fabric.

1 comment:

  1. so adorable, lovely! like the green with flower printed one :) nice!

    ReplyDelete