Saturday, May 26, 2012

Spaghetti Straps Refashion Dress

I love the idea of refashioning unused garments into useful items. I have not done many projects with this concept but I would certainly make it my priority in the future. Here's a successful refashioned outfit I had made for my daughter to wear on her Teacher's Day celebration last Friday. This is her final year in Kindergarten and I wanted her to have a great time before she starts primary school (elementary school) next year. Life will be a little bit more stressful for her and the programs at the primary school can be very demanding. Hence, I came up with the idea of making her a dress for the celebration.


Before and After
After some brainstorming, I decided to make her something using the felt materials that was scattered around my crafting room. I had been making felt flowers in the last 3 weeks. I found an overstretched spaghetti straps singlet that had turned too big for me and transformed it into a halter neck dress for my daughter. As usual I do not sketch, I like to let my creativity flow in spontaneously as I work. I cut long straps of scallops with felt and sew them onto the bottom of the dress.  I stacked roll after rolls of straps and stopped just before the bottom became too heavy. With some trims and gathers; 2 felt flower broaches and a "Teacher's Day" sash, my mission was accomplished in 2 days. I was so engrossed in my work that I decided to 'close' my kitchen for one evening. My two girls jumped for joy when they heard that they get to order Pizza delivery for dinner. Sound like I sew and craft better than I cook :)





















With a tattoo on one arm and a gift for her teacher Eunice, Ning was all set to go to school and enjoy her day with friends and teachers. 

This was another red and white project I did with the colors inspiration from the book of French GeneralHome Sewn by Kaari Meng.
The sash was given to teacher Eunice for being a good teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment