Monday, August 3, 2015

Upcycled Shoe Bag


This was a delayed project that I had wanted to work on when I first joined a fitness center last year. I had used a plastic bag, where one gets when buying groceries from supermarket, as my shoe-bag. Though convenient as it may be, it is an indecorous shoe bag for me.... Yes, I admit, I am a perfectionist.

I wanted something special; so I decide to make one. So I went through my stashed up old clothes and cushion covers that I had saved for upcycling projects. To be honest, I will never have the time to use them all. But being a person who is passionate about textile, I find it wasteful to throw away materials which could be reused, upcycled.

I like ethnic style; so I gathered materials based on that theme. You may select the theme of your preference if this post inspires you to make one too.


 Upcycle materials used for this project: 






An old bolster taken from an Indonesia teak bench - The shape which is ideal for the project. I had salvaged a few bolsters which had faded into unpleasant shades. 





A stained old skirt trimmed with Hmong textile




Stained and faded Akha cushion cover 




A piece of cloth hung above the door in my previous home during Chinese Lunar New Year






After hours of labor, the first shoe-bag was completed. One old bolster fully utilized in making one shoe bag.  I simply pleated the extra length of the bolster without trimming it. That added sturdiness to the material to firm the body.







 Added an ethnic trinket from Thailand to the zipper.








A little highlight was added to the bag handle. 




The finished work can be turned into a reversible shoe bag as the hem was sewm with cotton
bias binding.












After the first bag done, I made a second shoe-bag which was for my sister.








Added a leather strips onto the handle. My first try in leather embossing was unsatisfactory.



An elastic band sewn to the hem....


....which can hold a pair or two pairs of socks.

Alas I can say goodbye to using plastic shoe bags. I can now proudly use my handmade shoe bag when I go to the gym. It is also a useful shoe bag when I travel.

4 comments:

  1. cantik dan sangat berguna. =)

    http://myartcrafting.blogspot.com/2015/07/syawal-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy my posts. Many more craft projects completed but no time to organize them & share them here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I have no time to share blog post these days. Hopefully to find time to write some other interesting trips taken and crafts projects done.

    ReplyDelete