Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Sewing Journal

It is a pity that I never have a sewing journal though I have been sewing seriously the last few years. I would often draft my sketches on rough paper and disposed them after the projects are completed. More often, I started my project without a sketch; the development came spontaneously as the sewing progress. When I was running my seasonal business, I made table runners, cushion covers, cushions, belts, bags and lots of T-shirt design with minorities' fabric and accessories; and design clothing under the label of "Little Jaipur". Less than 30% were photographed and no sketches were being kept! With dream of publishing my sewing book one day, from now on all sketches and sewing accomplishments will be recorded.


Love It!

Not wanting to get a notebook from store, not even a really nice one. I decided my sewing journal had to be handmade and designed by myself. I went to Kinokuniya bookstore In KLCC one afternoon, found a nice small checker A4 size manuscript pad in light grey lines from Japan. I thought this would be good as the insert for my sewing journal. I also like the local made A4 size graph pad with nice pale blue lines.I stayed there for quite awhile, couldn't decide which to choose for. At last, I opted for the graph pad as it was much cheaper. From my book shelve, I took reference from books with ring binding and notebooks with fabric cover to study the construction. The end result after 3 days works was this lovely journal.

Open views
Love the vintage design scrapbooking paper I used on the first page. I am planning do a owner's inscription on a small plain paper and paste onto it.
I made the wrong choice by using water based white glue to paste the fabric for the inside front cover. It didn't stick well and leave glue stains on the fabric. I should just use a double sided tape to do the job. Well, it is the first book and I accepted the flaw.


Materials - The indigo dyed Hmong batik used on the cover was made from homespun cotton. I purchased it from Bac Ha Sunday market last year. I specifically chosen an old aged roll which the vendor sold it to me for a mere US$4. Good buy! It measured 1 foot width x 13 feet. The natural weave hemp was my treasure where I purchased it in Chiangmai years ago.











I hope this inspires you to start your sewing or crafting journal, best if it is one handmade by yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment