Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Little Artists of Sapa


Standing in front - Anh , Back - Chi

I met Anh aged 10 and Chi aged 13 at Sapa town, Northern Vietnam in 2009. When my friends and I were looking for a cafe to take a rest, I met two Hmong girls dressed in factory-made Hmong costumes with elaborate machine stitched laces by the walkway. They were not the usual Black Hmong but probably white Hmong from or around Tamduong.

They came to a shop front with a narrow platform. Anh took out her lined exercise book from her sling bag and started drawing with her blue ball pen. She used the platform as her table as the shop was built on the slope that was raised above the road. I was attracted by them, especially Anh who was so engrossed with her drawing. Being an artist myself, I always get attracted to kids' natural talent to draw and paint. I gave her the remaining box of crayons which my friend Pam had prepared to give away on the trip. We would usually bring along gifts for children on our travelling and it was a joy to see Anh and Chi so jubilant with having added crayons.

Anh happily filling in colors on her drawing

While my two friends, Pam and Subra, were having beer, I found pleasure in spending time with the girls. Anh was able to converse in simple English and both of them could write their names in English. I believe that they learnt English in school. Anh was confident and wise beyond her years. If she is given opportunity in learning, she could have great achievement in future.

The two paintings given to me by Anh & Chi

I drew a drawing for her and they each drew a painting for me. Anh also gave Pam and another tourist each a painting. I was touched by her generousity. I treasure the two drawings very much and I hope to see them again when I visit their homewon again.

No comments:

Post a Comment