Sunday, January 30, 2011

recycled and refashioned - Children skirt

 
Before

I love batiks. I found all of them unique regardless of their origin. I realised they are distinctive and beautiful in their very own forms. I have a skirt made with beautiful patched old batik Solo. The problem of seasoned fabric is they do not last long as the fabric is somewhat fragile. I had mended a few tears and continued to use it for short while before a bad rip developed on the skirt and I had to give up wearing it.

As usual, I kept it at a corner for awhile. Until one day, I took it out and decided to transform it into a skirt with crossed straps for my daughter. The bad rip was at the bottom part of the skirt and I trimmed it off to make it into an A-lined knee length skirt.

I love pockets and I thought with the crossed straps, the skirt would look cute. I cut the fabric as shown on the picture on the right. The top part of the skirt was cut into the length right on my daughter's knee; the two bands for the straps; from the bottom part of the skirt, I cut off some fabric for the pockets. It was a quick job as there were only minor adjustments.


After


My old torn skirt was given a new life. Zen looks just great in it!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I like the new look of your old skirt and the young model.

    ReplyDelete