Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fabric Birds

Once Upon A Time

Sew Sunny Homestyle by Tone Finnanger is a book with beautiful ideas on sewing projects and it comes with gorgeous pictures . I fell in love with it as  soon as I received the book. Its nostalgic, country and fairy tale like projects would capture the hearts of many girls. There are plenty of projects that I wished to work on but to date I have only sewed some fabric birds.

My first batch of fabric birds was made with English country style print materials. Just the way they were made in the book.  I made them for one of my fun outing in Kaka Art Market - a local talent art market in Kuala Lumpur. Some were sold, some were given away as gifts and left two I reserved for myself.





I love the colors of old French fabric and had been yearning to make something with them. The idea of a Christmas sewing project with this color scheme was just perfect. The second batch of 21 birds was made in combination of red, white and neutral colors for decoration at home and gifts to dear friends. I sewed them at home; in the car (of course, I was in it as passenger); while waiting my kids taking their music classes, in the clinic........for 1 & 1/2 months.













Friends love these birds that don't fly. Some had offered to buy them but I hesitated. I wasn't sure they are willing to pay for them when they know the price I would ask for. (Though I think my price is very reasonable) Too little it does not justify the time and effort. . So, I ended up giving as gifts for various occasions as usual.

As I am writing this post, I decided to take order from now on :) . I could use the money to buy materials and sewing supplies. For those who like to sew this on your own, click here for template and simple tutorial.

Big - RM28 /   Small - RM23
Basic bird

(excluding postage & handling)

No comments:

Post a Comment