Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ethnic Cushion Covers with Yi People Motifs


I had shared a post on ethnic cushion covers in December 2010. The article has the highest readership among all the sewing posts and second most read post in my blog. In fact, the readership is up to ten times more than my other posts on sewing. I guess many people are interested with ethnic designed cushion covers. Riding on this popularity, I decided to share with you another one of my new creation.


Covers with  appliqué  of the Yi motif





A mirror effect appliqué for the set of cushion cover


These two sets of striking colored cushion covers were designed for a workshop with an NGO in China whom I visited last year. I have used these motifs for my "Hand Sewn Journal" which I shared in a post last September 2011. The motifs on these cushion covers are adapted from the art and craft work by the Yi people. They are one of the 55 minority people groups in mainland China.

Motifs of the Yi People 




Covers designed with  appliqué  and running stitches of the Yi motif 
I asked help from a lady working in my friend's workshop to sew the black piping on the cushion. I had experience of doing a terrible job on piping; I take the opportunity for a tutorial. Another lady at the workshop gave me tips on sewing the borders of the blue cushions shown above. As a result, I did a good job on these cushion covers . 

Love this home decor weight blue Indian cotton
The button is embroidered with the Yi motif
These two sets of cushions now sit prettily in my living room.


New! Click here for tutorial & template for the red with black piping cushion cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment