Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Zakka Apron with Ethnic Embroidery

I had shared on last two posts on the projects I did for a workshop with a NGO ran minority sewing centre in China . And here is another project I did  for the same workshop to design handmade crafts for the Yi minority people.


Coaster with Yi motif applique and embroidery


I had limited info and resources before arriving China, which I had to use whatever I could get hold for my preparation. I had with me two coaster with Yi designed motifs bought from a friend. The embroidery on the coaster was fine and beautiful. I was impressed with the effort of making a little coaster. Later, I had a chance to see the Yi ladies making these embroideries, and they were really skillful and fast in their sewing. With these two coasters, I had made two aprons with the same design.




2 pocket compartments 




One of the two aprons was given to a charming lady in the mountain and I kept the other one for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment