Saturday, April 28, 2012

Patchwork Blankets - Labor of Love

A Grandmother's Garden Quilt
Picture from better-homes-gardens
My grandmother used to make us patchwork blankets when I was growing up.  Her favorite designs are similar to that Grandmother’s Garden Quilt that you can see in the picture left.  Grandma made all her blankets with fabric scraps and she would patch the pieces together using the traditional English Paper Piecing methodFor as long as I can remember, the hexagons on my grandma’s blankets are typically around 6 – 7cm in diameters - a little larger than some of the shapes on patchwork blankets that I have seen. My guess is that grandma did not have the patient or time to work with small hexagons.

Having that said, I will always get a new blanket from grandma whenever I outgrown the blanket size that I had. Grandma eventually had to stop sewing when her eyesight can no longer supports her to do such delicate works. However, her blankets continue to keep her grandchildren warm and cozy at night and for many years after she stopped sewing.





My first patchwork blanket



I love grandma's blankets and the hexagon patchwork. In fact, I made my first patch blanket with the hexagon design using the English Paper Piecing method. I made the first blanket for my wedding bed based on my memory of how my friend's mother was making it during my regular visit to her house when I was a teenager. Today, after almost 14 years with little torn here and there on this blanket, I am still using it to keep myself warm and comfort each night. 

I was not exposed to many other fancier designs of patchwork or quilt in the past.  Everyone in this region seems to be making patchwork blankets with hexagons (Grandmother's Garden Quilt), square or rectangular shapes. Today, I had seen many beautiful patchworks using different shapes and patterns. But my favorite shape for patchwork remains the hexagon. There are so many possible designs you can create with the hexagon.

I have been making patchwork blankets for my kids since they were babies. Zen complains her elephant quilt blanket to be too warm and heavy. So, I started making a new one for her since 2 & 1/2 years ago!  I made it everyday at the beginning of the project. Then I got distracted and started taking break for days in between my sewing, eventually days turned into weeks and weeks turned into sometimes months. I made other sewing projects in between because I need seeing some finished projects from time to time.  It gives me a sense of accomplishments. I am spending more time making the blanket recently and it is because we are moving into our new house very soon. It will look beautiful on her new bed.  I purposely use an old bed sheet to sew the backing of the blanket because seasoned fabric is softer and more comfortable. Zen loves the lightness and softness of her new blanket and she also like the beautiful prints on it.









I didn't really have a clue of the design I first started the project. I was thinking I can create some random designs hexagons and diamonds that I had basted with loose stitches. I had chosen pink and green printed fabric for the color combination I added a bright pink plain fabric for a contrasting color effects and to create a chic country look. The finished work is an unusual ladder shape. It may not be a spectacular piece of work as compared to the works of many experienced quilters, but it is priceless to me, I hope my girls will appreciate my efforts and treasured these blankets, and hopefully they will pass on the tradition to their children in the future!


You may find tutorial sites on sewing hexagon patchworks below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcvpA3lqtkM&feature=related
http://www.ehow.com/how_8623212_sew-hexagon-quilt-block.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/G/GrandmothersFlowerGardenBlock.html

No comments:

Post a Comment