Friday, October 8, 2010

Little Sewing Session

Mie & Sung
March in Sapa is pleasant, with minimal rainfall and warmer but not extreme temperatures. The scenery in Northern Vietnam during this dry season ( January -June) may not be as green as in the raining season (June-August) but it definitely more convenience to carry on with the activities there. My backpack was lighter and made room for the gifts I had brought for my guide Chay; my little Hmong friends Sung and Mie plus some sewing kits, materials and accessories for tutorial. With lighter load, it allow faster mobility...... especially the long walking to and fro the train stations.



Lesson 1
Many of the Hmong girls helped to generate income to their families by selling little handicrafts and accessories to tourists. It is sad that they would skip school when they wanted to get income, especially during peak season. Skipping school to help in the field or nursing the younger ones were also common. Some of the goods they sold were handmade by themselves while others were obtained from wholesaler.  I found these items they made were in limited variety and never change since my first visit in 2004. Those stuffs might have been dated longer than that...

Muichi joined the session too!
(Muichi is a sock toy made by me)
Those are things that you might purcharse simply to help the girls more that you really like. And it is unlikely you wanted to get them again on your next visit. Set apart the friendship bands which cost penny. There was how the idea of the little sewing session came into my mind.

Now that Sung had dropped out from school and Mie being less interest in attending school regularly. For this reasaon my intention on sponsoring them for education had to be ceased. They did not understand the importance of education while their parents thought making the extra Dollars were bigger issue. Can't blame them, their stomachs and basic needs had to be met first. I hoped to give them new ideas. At least before they can start working as tour guide, they can make something new to sell and find pleasure in trying new stuffs.

I brought with me some plain fabric and accessories for making rings, key chains, brooch, decorative hair band, hanging mobile...... We had the sewing session in Sung's house after my visit to Mie's house for lunch where I prepared a Malaysian delight-Curry Chicken. I taught them to make yoyo and mini heart shape pillow. With the yoyo, they could turn it into ring, elastic hairband, hairclip, brooch, keychain and etc. They were excited to see those little gadgets and eager to learn.While Sung's mother felt shy to join but was observing what we did. She took out her stash of scraps for us to use. From the condition of her stash, you knew how precious of materials and resources. Just like the olden days, when things used to get the second life after they weren't be able to use as their original forms.

Yoyo ring, brooch and elastic hair band made with Hmong textile



I have derived so much pleasure just by getting to know them better, especially both their weaknesses and strenghts.  I feel so privileged to be able to know them and get close to them.  It makes life more interesting for me. I wish I could stay longer to teach them more stuffs and proper sewing. Up till today, I still can not comprehend, why they spent long hours making beautiful intricate embroidery but finished the work with perfunctory stitching. I will find out on my future visit.... advice me if it is rude to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment