Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hand dyed Indigo batik placemats

Right after I finished making the dove appliqué placemats, I decided to make a set of placemats for daily use at home. My present set of placemats was made more than 4 years ago using an old wrap around skirt. They are really worn out from regular used.

It took me very long time to decide on which fabric to use and the theme for this new set of placemats. I got confused with a full cupboard of beautiful materials I collected over the years. Many of them were acquired on various travelling trips abroad. Finally, I went for my favourite fabric -the indigo dyed batik. These few pieces of fabrics used here were produced by the infamous water town of Wuzhen, which also regarded as the Venice of the east in the north of Zhejiang Province, China. For the info of my American readers, Wuzhen was the destination for the World of Quilts Travel from United States that was organized last year.

Set of six placemats with three different prints


Front and back view of placemat with Wuzhen batik and linen.

Unlike batiks in other regions of China and around the world who usually use bee wax and wax for the dye resist process, the indigo hand-dyed batiks in Wuzhen are unique with its used of bean flour paste for the dye resist process.   The artisans in Wuzhen still use the technique and natural plant dye like it was done centuries ago.



I love to utilize the selvages of fabric as part of design. The selvage of burlap linen that I used for this project added a rustic charm to this handmade project. 

Ready for dinner

I am going to cook a good meal for my family this evening and decorate the table with these new placements and pretty blue & white crockery. I know some of you may be considering on the cleaning part... but you could just be a little cautious when you eat and get the chance to practice a good table manner :) I would lay a bigger plate under my younger daughter's plate of food to prevent staining onto the mat. I am lucky if she can use the mat thrice.

For tutorial and template, click here. (Sorry this is not ready yet. Please check again in few days time and I will have the link connected to Yann's tutorial from the highlighted words)

No comments:

Post a Comment