Monday, February 27, 2012

My little girl first sewing project

Sniff and I am fast asleep

My daughter Ning began asking me this question since she was four -" Can I learn to sew?" My answers has always been -" Not yet. Your fingers are not strong enough to hold the needle firmly." Her next question would often be-"At how many years old can I start sewing?" I answered- "Perhaps in a year or two when you are almost six." She would then walk away disappointedly.

Two weeks ago, when I was working on a sewing project, Ning came close to me and pleaded for a sewing lesson. My answer was positive this time. She suggested for her to begin with a simple project by learning to sew in straight line. She rejoiced with a cry and wanted to start immediately. I was too engrossed with my own sewing and asked for sometime to plan for her a project rather than just sewing straight line on a piece of fabric.

Few days later, I came up with the idea to teach Ning to sew a lavender cushions sachet. She loves lavender and would often inhale its sweet and soothing scent from my little old jam bottle that I store my lavender. Felt would be a great material to use for kids sewing project. Wool felt is too expensive and difficult to get locally, but synthetic felt material is readily available in most sewing supplies shops. So, a felt lavender sachet was the plan.

Lavender sachet
Great work for a  5 & 1/2 year old beginner
Ning was so excited from the very beginning when we chose the color for the felt and embroidery thread. I marked the sewing lines and demonstrated to her before she started. I was worried about her getting hurt but Ning learnt very well and didn't even get poked by needle. She stuffed some poly fiber and inserted a tiny lavender pillow which I made into the sachet before closing up the seam on one of the side. I helped her to knot the thread. Mission accomplished in one sewing session in the afternoon. She proclaimed she loves sewing and wanted the next project right away! I was surprised and happy with her enthusiasm for sewing. I foresee they would be many great moments we could cherish in the future.

She hugged the small lavender sachet into sleep that night. Her satisfaction and happiness warmed me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment