Thursday, November 15, 2012

Makeover of Family Area



The vibrant mix of colors and ethnic flare in this room caught my attention when I was pinteresting one day. I repined the photo to my home decor board right away. I would love to create a similar area in my house.

Picture from
http://blog.hgtv.com/design/2010/10/01/blog-of-the-week-sf-girl-by-bay/


We moved to our new home one and two months ago on 17th September 2012. While there are still projects for home improvement, I have finally unpacked all our stuffs and stored them accordingly.  I am taking time to add the finishing touches around the house. There are days that I would transfer plants from the old house, located not too far from the new one. Other days I would hang up pictures on the wall. After looking at the above photo again last night, I decided to do a little makeover for our family room, something that I have been reluctant to do because my husband prefers the decor and colors in the house to be simple and plain. But I finally decided to rule over him and take over the space since this area is adjunction to my studio. I supposed I can do what I like for my space :)

Before












Before the makeover, the corner had a slight ethnic flavor with the display of the Uyghur's carpet on the floor and Chinese floral cushion cover and Borneo Ikat displayed on top of the improvised TV bench. I found the room pleasant but it has yet to achieve my expectation. I love ethnic-eclectic style for home décor.  It will allow me to display my collection of beautiful textiles and knick knacks that I picked up from my travelling.  Additionally, I have made many cushion covers that will fit perfectly to this concept.

After
1- Cat stuffed toy from Northern Thailand; 2- Embroidery work from Uzbekistan; 3- Baby carrier of Dong people, China; 4- My handmade cushions and covers; 5- Left - white base cushion cover from the Akha people of Northern Thailand; 6- Yu Yu chair of Indonesia turned into TV shelf.


With a little creativity, I turned this little corner of my house to an oasis for cultural experience. Nice! This is a perfect place for reading and watching TV shows. I love the result but I believe there is still room for improvement. Perhaps I can change the curtain on the door or hang few more things on the wall to enhance the concept. I will keep you updated when there are new improvements to this project. 

Note: Please excuse the poor quality shots because I am relying on a phone camera for photography at this point of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment